Wrenda Goodwyn • special to the Fort Myers News-Press• October 4, 2014
As I write this column, fall is not in the air. Yet.
While most of the country is hanging on to those last warm days of summer, in southwest Florida we are anxiously awaiting a cool morning breeze, an evening that makes us look through our closet for a jacket and any sign that fall is on its way.
It will appear soon. Amy minute. Perhaps even this weekend, when a cold front is predicted.
And while our northern neighbors are covering the pool and bringing in the patio furniture, we are looking forward to heading outdoors after a long summer of air conditioning! And it only takes a few news reports of snow storms to realize again, how lucky we are to live in a tropical paradise.
But until then, we dream of fall.
And there is something about the change in seasons that makes us want to make a change. In fashion and in our homes. We want to mark the change in seasons, no matter how subtle.
So as the days become shorter and we are all counting down fall's arrival, we look at our homes and make small changes to mark the coming season. As a Fort Myers interior decorator, some of my favorites include:
• Start with a good decluttering. Then go to your closet, bring the long sleeves and jackets and boots to the front. In the pantry, clean out all of the old spices and make room for the new as we get ready for the coming holidays.
• Make a slight change of colors in your decorating with yellows, browns and orange tones. Pillows, throws, accessories. Mother nature's colors...you can't go wrong.
• Visit fall art shows and invest in a new piece of art or accent piece.
• Search fall flea markets and find a new treasure for an accent piece.
• With shorter days, now is a good time to take a look at your lighting and perhaps add a new lamp or two.
• Change your scents to fall. Some of my favorites are the highly scented candles from Candleberry Candles and include: Copper Leaves ad Mulled Cider. www.candleberry.com.
• The change in seasons is a perfect time to invest in new linens, towels, throws, blankets.
• Freshen up a room or outdoor space by adding a new rug. Some of my favorites are from Dash & Albert. www.dashandalbert.com.
• Change your fireplace mantel or tablescape with creamy neutrals accented with seasonal tones, gourds, pumpkins, leaves, baskets, accents. Tip: I pick these up from Home Goods for my clients.
• As you spend more time outdoors, add some new pillows and throw (for chilly nights) to your chairs.
• Start at the front door with mums, a new welcome mat, wreath and pumpkins (Tip: spray paint the pumpkins to reflect your color scheme). Fun!
• On the first cool morning: open all of the windows and let the fresh air into your home.
Welcome fall! It's been a long, hot summer!
Wrenda Goodwyn is a Southwest Florida interior decorator. Home Inspirations appears the first Saturday of each month. Visit her website at spectacularspaces.com. Call her at 949-1808 or e-mail email@example.com. For more decorating tips and photos, visit spectacularspaces.com/blog