Even though we don't have dramatic changes in the seasons in southwest Florida, this is a good time to reconfigure and make a few changes in your home to lighten things up a bit. Change is healthy (and pretty!).
Photo: Garnet Hill.
A few tips for small summer changes that make a big impact:
• Eliminate what you don't need or use. This one alone will make a world of difference.
• Think about color. Maybe an accent wall that you have wanted to try. Or replace a color in a bathroom with a beautiful white and give it a spa look with all white accessories. Or add some color with a new set of towels or sheets. Paint the front door a color that you have been wanting to try (blue, yellow, coral).
• Add beautiful fabric. Pillows, throws, linens, rugs. Upholster a headboard. This is the perfect time to replace these items with new and fresh. Plus, sales are everywhere!
• Rotate your artwork. Keep some of your favorite pieces and switch them out. I recommend doing this seasonally. And while you are thinking about art, do some rearranging to give your walls an art gallery look. Hint: Less is more.
• Change is good. Maybe your taste has changed. Don’t be afraid to eliminate something that you no longer love and open a space for something new and wonderful.
• Don't love it? Donate it. This one alone will make a world of difference.
• Refresh. Paint all of your window sills and baseboards with a fresh coat of paint. Do this each spring and see an amazing difference for a few dollars.
Do something creative. Start a collection. Go to flea markets and bring home an accent piece. Take a pottery course. Learn flower arranging. Rearrange the furniture. Wallpaper a powder room.
Want a home that makes you happy?